Monday 18 February 2013

Theology, North Wales, The Gregory and The King in the Car Park


In the vein of the good Doctor Watson I'll start this post chronologically backwards...

(And yes, I know the picture is too large for the screen. It was intentional because Wales is too awesome for proper description. ;))
North Wales

It's truly impossible to adequately describe the breathtaking beauty of North Wales. We visited many parts of the little nation this past weekend including Llandudno, Swallow Falls, Betws-y-Coed and the awe inspiring Caenarfon Castle of William the Conqueror. I took more pictures than could possibly be necessary but even still I feel I've done it an injustice. The green fields, tree studded mountains and rolling oceans of North Wales are past material description. One simply must see this nation for ones self. Put it on your list because by the end of this post you'll have but a taste of the true splendour.

This was my first trip to a place in which English is not the primary language. In Wales everything is written in both Welsh and English and nearly everyone I met spoke English but the foremost language on every sign and many a tongue is that of Welsh. It a lovely language that to my poor unpractised ears sounds like a vowel-less disaster. I love it. Sans Japanese I find Welsh to be the most beautiful language I've ever heard. Though the writing is nigh on impossible to pronounce. We gave up trying with every word save 'Pergyl' which is the Welsh word for 'Danger' and with it's glorious terrain is seen often...and it's enormous fun to shout aloud. Try it. ;) I also made the acquaintance of a very charming Welshman while strolling along the beach...


Isn't he precious? We were just walking along and there he was! He must've been napping when the tide went out then came scampering down to the water when we happened by. It was really the chance of a lifetime, something I'll surely never forget. :)


Unfortunately since we're doing a great deal of travelling this month I've been unable to attend New Life on Sundays. It's only been two weeks and I already miss the lively little church. Several times during my stay here I've been informed of the differences in religion between the UK and the US. Apparently the US has a reputation of being an extreme 'religious' country. Being an American I've had to sadly correct that false idea. The main difference in religious ideas between the two countries is that here in the UK Christianity is still a large part of the state. Royal marriages involve many Biblical aspects, cathedrals and churches are plentiful and a cross or prayer or the mention of God in public places is not thought of as 'politically incorrect'. In the US of course this is completely the opposite. Churches are plentiful but the government pushes God and anything to do with Him as far out of their sphere as possible. Christianity thrives in small, sincere pockets but it is certainly 'cool' in the US to be anti-Christianity. I really am not saying that one country is any better than the other because I really don't know, but I've definitely noticed the difference.

We've also had some very fascinating historical events whilst here. Anyone else heard of Richard III?? Well, the other day while just before class it was announced that THEY FOUND HIM. Yes. King Richard III was found in a car park not far from where I live! It's crazy. It's just crazy to be this close to history in the making. They had minute by minute reports on the news as they were doing the DNA testings. It all seemed so unreal as they announced, "King Richard III has been found at last." I think the most incredible thing about being in England is that one feels so close, so very close to history, to time itself. Richard fought Henry VII and died on the battlefield only an hour train ride away. It's humbling.

I've also begun to settle a bit into the 'English' life. Spent two charming evenings in local pubs, The first was at the The Gregory last Thursday night and the second at the Prince Albert in Llandudno. Not being much of a drinker of course (not to mention poor as a church mouse), I didn't indulge in anything stronger than Earl Grey at either but had some marvellous conversation. Theology at one and politics at the other. ;) Pubs apparently are much different from American 'bars'. There's no smoking allowed in ANY buildings in the UK so no dingy smoke-filled rooms. And pubs are much more oh, family oriented perhaps? While at the Prince Albert with my Welsh friend Graham I saw many a family with children, it was a nice calm setting. They had several 'tellys' on to watch the football match but none louder than necessary. It was a most enjoyable time. I recommend the British pub to any and all! :D

Finally I really must comment on the health here. Not the health care but the health status of Harlaxton specifically, everyone is constantly ill! The students I mean, not so much the faculty. Some people have even had the same thing twice. One girl was complaining that no here knew how her voice really sounded as she'd been sick the entire time! It's crazy. Thanking God that neither my roommate nor myself has even been remotely under the weather once as of yet. I truly put it down to proper rest and the grace of God because that's the only thing I really do different than anyone else. No party time for me thank you, when 10 rolls around...it's time for bed. :) And as such, good night until next weekend. It's off to Stonehenge tomorrow!!!

B. J. Tucker


Something I Miss Now: Real Thunderstorms.
Something I Will Miss: Coronation Chicken. (It's to die for, seriously.)


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo Album Link(s) -
Life At Harlaxton 2013 Sub Folder #4 - North Wales Part #1
Life At Harlaxton 2013 Sub Folder #5 - North Wales Part #2
Life At Harlaxton 2013 Sub Folder #6 - North Wales Part #3



No comments:

Post a Comment